By outreach@cw.ua.edu (Ben Stansell)

Senior Mackenzie Brannan ruptured her achilles today at practice while working on a floor routine, according to an initial diagnosis. The team will confirm Brannan’s diagnosis tomorrow morning.

Brannan has been a consistent contributor on uneven bars for the Crimson Tide this season, competing on the event in all but one meet. Brannan recorded a season high 9.925 on bars in a win against Kentucky on Friday night. She boasts a career high of 9.975.

Although Brannan’s decorated competitive career has been cut short, she will leave nothing on the table, according to a statement given after her injury.

“Today’s injury is unfortunately one of those things that happens in sports,” Brannan said in the statement. “I was practicing my floor routine when it happened, working to get out there on another event. And while no one wants to end their competitive career like this, I have no regrets.”

Alabama coach Dana Duckworth believes that, despite her injury, Brannan will continue to help the Crimson Tide succeed in other ways.

“It happened,” Duckworth said. “We got her into the training room. I gave her a hug and I said ‘I’m sorry’ and I said ‘Mackie, your role just changed’ and she looked at me and she goes ‘yes ma’am. I know. I got this’ and it was like, what a true champion.”

During this season, the entire Alabama team has been wearing green ribbons in their hair to support Brannan’s brother, who is currently battling cancer.

Brannan posted a message on Instagram in wake of her injury.

It breaks my heart to write this message right now. I unfortunately ruptured my Achilles today at practice. Even though my gymnastics career has been cut short, I will continue to be the best supporter and cheerleader for my team the rest of the year. Extremely grateful to have experienced the career that I did and represent @bamagymnastics these past four years. This sport has blessed me with countless life lessons, opportunities, experiences, memories, and some amazing people and friends. I can’t thank my family, friends, and coaches enough for all they have done for me. And finally, thank you gymnastics. It has been a crazy and fun rollercoaster and I wouldn’t change it for the world. ❤️

A post shared by Mackenzie Brannan (@mack_brannan) on Feb 18, 2018 at 4:59pm PST

Brannan has plans on becoming a physical therapist.