For the first time in two weeks, the Alabama men’s tennis team took the court and much like the previous match, they fell in short of the goal. The Virginia Tech Hokies took control from the beginning and really flexed their muscles during doubles play. With the loss, the Crimson Tide drop to even to an overall record of 5-5.
Abraham Asaba and Jai Corbett of Virginia Tech secured the first of four points for the Hokies in a smooth and swift 6-1 victory against Mazen Osama and Alexey Nesterov. Over on court two, the lead duo of Edison Ortiz and Spencer Richey put up the toughest fight of all but ultimately fell, 6-4, to Mitch Harper and Alexandre Ribeiro. That victory clinched the doubles point for the Hokies
Singles play began with a convincing straight set victory for the aforementioned Hokie, Harper 6-3, 6-2. It was not until No. 62 Osama triumph did the Crimson Tide capture their first point of the day. Osama took the match in straight sets 6-3, 7-5, it was his victory and Richey’s win that gave Alabama its two points. After Richey’s win, the Hokies claimed back to back victories to clinch the match and improve their record to 4-3 on the season.
The Crimson Tide will look to get out of a drought and end its three-game losing streak against the Boise State Broncos. Play will commence and begin on Saturday at 10 a.m. where doubles play will kick-off the day.
1. No. 62 Mazen Osama (Alabama) def. No. 49 Jai Corbett (Virginia Tech) 6-3, 7-5
2. Alexandre Rieiro (Virginia Tech) def. Thibault Cancel (Alabama) 6-3, 7-6
3. Mitch Harper (Virginia Tech) def. Edson Ortiz (Alabama) 6-3, 6-2
4. Spencer Richey (Alabama) def. No. 97 Henrik Korsgaard (Virginia Tech) 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
5. Jason Kros (Virginia Tech) def. Zhe Zhou (Alabama) 6-4, 6-2
6. Alexey Nesterov (Alabama) vs. Freddy Mesmer (Virginia Tech) 4-3, DNF
1. Abraham Asaba/Jai Corbett (Virginia Tech) def. Mazen Osama/Alexey Nesterov (Alabama) 6-1
2. Mitch Harper/Alexandre Ribeiro (Virginia Tech) def. Edson Ortiz/Spencer Richey (Alabama) 6-4
3. Thibault Cancel/Zhe Zhou (Alabama) vs. Henrik Korsgaard/Jason Kros (Virginia Tech) 5-6, DNF
Source:: The Crimson White Sports