Although they suffered a loss in the first match of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend tournament against Washington, the Alabama men’s tennis team was able to salvage the weekend with a gutsy performance against the Purdue Boilermakers.
The young team was able to escape the clutches of defeat and valiantly fight back to beat the Boilermakers 4-3.
“An amazing finish tonight,” said head coach George Husack. “Great for out team to experience a tug of war match and create a memory as well. Moments like these are invaluable and we will both learn and build from it.”
Together, Spencer Richey and Mazen Osama took down Purdue’s top duo Ricky Medinilla and Dominik Sochure in a 6-3 victory. The No. 32 pair were the first to clinch a doubles victory for the Crimson Tide, but it was Ritchie Kruunenberg and Alexey Nesterov who defeated Gergely Madarasz and Athell Bennett to give Alabama the doubles point.
In a quick turn of events, Purdue took the first two matches of singles play. It was No. 70 Benjamin Ugarte who swiftly defeated Richey, 6-4, 6-2. Shortly after the conclusion of Richey’s match, Stephan Keonigsfest took down Alexey Nesterov 6-1, 6-2.
With the teams tied up at three, the winner of the day came down to a singles match between Edison Ortiz and Athell Bennett. The two went toe to toe with each other and battles back in forth, but it was Ortiz who prevailed in the three set thriller 6-2, 4-6, 7-5. Ortiz’s win gave Alabama the overall win and put them back over .500 with a 3-2 record.
The team will get to rest up for the week and will resume action against the Texas Tech Raiders next friday back in Tuscaloosa at the Roberta Alison Baumgardner Tennis Facility at 6 p.m.
1. No. 63 Mazen Osama (Alabama) def. No. 49 Gergely Madarasz (Purdue), 7-5, 6-3.
2. Ricky Medinilla (Purdue) def. No. 78 Thibault Cancel (Alabama), 6-1, 7-5.
3. No. 70 Benjamin Ugarte (Purdue) def. Spencer Richey (Alabama), 6-4, 6-2.
4. Stepehen Keonigsfest (Purdue) def. Alexey Nesterov (Alabama), 6-1, 6-2.
5. Edson Ortiz (Alabama) def. Athell Bennett (Purdue), 6-2, 4-6, 7-5.
6. Dominik Sochurek (Purdue) def. Langford Hills (Alabama), 6-3, 7-6.
1. No. 32 Mazen Osama/Spencer Richey (Alabama) def. Ricky Medinilla/Dominik Sochurek (Purdue), 6-3.
2. Ritchie Kruunenberg/Alexey Nesterov (Alabama) def. Gergely Madarasz/Athell Bennett (Purdue), 7-5.
3. Benjamin Ugarte/Stehpan Koenigsfest (Purdue) def. Thibault Cancel/Edson Ortiz (Alabama), 6-4.
Source:: The Crimson White Sports