By outreach@cw.ua.edu (Matthew Speakman)

Cornerback Marlon Humphrey announced on Friday that he will forgo his final two years of eligibility and enter the 2017. The 6-1,196-pound defensive back has been projected as a first-round selection by multiple outlets.

“I thought about it with my family,” Humphrey said. “I looked at the negatives, I looked at the positives and I thought the positives outweighed the negatives.”

Humphrey came out of high school as the No. 12 recruit in the country, according to 247Sports composite rankings. After redshirting his freshman year, Humphrey earned a role as Alabama’s starting cornerback his redshirt freshman year. He has been an important part of Alabama’s secondary playing opposite of both Cyrus Jones and Anthony Averett.

Humphrey’s dad, Bobby Humphrey, was an Alabama legend during his playing days as a running back and played five years in the NFL. Humphrey said having a father who has been through the NFL Draft process was a big positive for him.

“It’s definitely pretty good,” Humphrey said. “I have much trust in him, because I know he’s done this process. He’s been on the bad end of it, and he’s been on the good end so I definitely think it is a positive.”

Humphrey and the two other player’s decisions come just days after Alabama’s 35-31 loss to Clemson in the College Football Playoff National Championship. Humphrey said the turnaround has been difficult.

“That definitely was a rough part about it,” he said. “It [declaring for the draft ]definitely would’ve felt a lot better if we had won that game and gone out on top. I guess everything happens the way it happens.”

Humphrey finishes the 2016 season with 26 total tackles, two interceptions and five break-ups.