By outreach@cw.ua.edu (CW Staff)

It’s no secret that coach Wes Hart wanted to see more goals in his first season as the head of the soccer program. Those problems might be behind Alabama now with the transfer of Mid-American Conference Freshman of the Year, Abbie Boswell.

“I’m thrilled with Abbie’s decision to come to Alabama,” Hart said. “I believe it’s a great fit. I have a bit of a history with Abbie, having coached her on a few occasions during my time as a youth coach. I’m confident she will come in and make an immediate impact. Abbie has proven that she can score goals, something we struggled to do last year.”

In addition to becoming the first Ball State player to earn the honor from the conference, Boswell was also on the All-MAC First Team, named to the National Soccer Coaches Association of America’s All-Great Lakes Region Second Team and was honored as the MAC Offensive Player of the Week for the week of Aug. 31.

She is immediately eligible to play for the Crimson Tide in the upcoming season. She started 19-of-20 games and scored 10 goals and earned 20 points to finish No. 4 and No. 5 in those respective categories for the conference.

The Woodridge, Illinois native also finished No. 2 for the conference in shot attempts with 41-of-64 shots (64.1 percent) on target. Seven of her goals came in conference play, including a game-winner at Miami of Ohio on Oct. 29 to clinch the MAC regular season championship.

“I am really looking forward to being a part of the team,” Boswell said. “The coaching staff is a big reason why I came to Alabama. I hope to learn as much as possible from them over the next three years, so I can continue to contribute to the team’s success in the SEC and NCAA tournament.”