By outreach@cw.ua.edu (CW Staff)

The women’s basketball team traveled across campus to Coleman Coliseum on Monday, but the change of scenery did not keep Alabama from remaining unbeaten at home.  

Alabama defeated North Florida 69-47 in the team’s ninth annual 5th grade fast break game to improve to 9-1 this season.

“I just want to thank all of the schools in the area that came out to support us today,” said coach Kristy Curry. “What an incredible environment. Those 5th graders hopefully left here having a fun day, and they’ll come back and see us play. We just appreciate the support of the event from our administration and facilities, everyone who helped make this possible, promotions and marketing. What a great morning for them, and I hope they had a great day.”

Curry was not as pleased with her team’s start. Alabama trailed early on, but the Crimson Tide scored nine points in the final two minutes of the second quarter to take a 29-22 lead into the half.

“I thought we were not very good from the start,” Curry said. “I guess ugly counts, but we have a lot of improving we need to do. I’m trying to get their attention and focus on our basketball team improving, yet them enjoying the holidays at the same time. With 10 out of 13 players being freshmen and sophomores, we’ve got to quickly react to that. I hope we come out in the morning and continue to grow and get better.”

Curry’s disappointment probably has a lot to do with the fact that her team started 1-of-10 from the field. Alabama heated up later, shooting 23-of-55 the rest of the game.

Hannah Cook led the team with 17 points. Nikki Hegstetter with a season-high 13 rebounds, and Meoshonti Knight recorded her first double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds.

The Crimson Tide will return to action in Atlanta, Georgia on Friday when Alabama faces Georgia Tech at 6 p.m. CT.