By outreach@cw.ua.edu (Tyler Waldrep)

By Tyler Waldrep | Assistant Sports Editor

On Monday, the SEC announced two Alabama players would be honored as the conference player of the week.

Derrick Henry was selected to be the Offensive Player of the Week for the fourth time this season after his performance in the Crimson Tide’s 31-6 victory over Mississippi State.

He carried the ball 22 times to finish the day with 204 yards and two touchdowns. Both of Henry’s touchdowns came on runs of at least 65 yards.

“It’s always important to be able to make big plays,” coach Nick Saban said. “It changes field position and usually ends up … hard to score if you don’t make some big plays somewhere along the way.”

Wide receiver Richard Mullaney said blocking for Henry is easy – he just needs to stay out of the way. Henry’s teammates expect him to break free for a long run now, but Mullaney remembers a time this season when Henry’s speed surprised him.

“Probably the first game, Wisconsin,” Mullaney said. “I remember going down to make a block on the safety. The next thing I know, I look forward, I guess, and he was already in the end zone. I was like ‘Wow. He’s really fast.’ ”

The Crimson Tide also had a player recognized on the defensive side of the ball. Jonathan Allen is the SEC Defensive Lineman of the Week after he helped the defense record nine sacks on Saturday.

Allen terrorized Mississippi State in the backfield all day. He recorded three sacks, three tackles for loss and forced one fumble. Not even the Alabama sideline was safe from Allen’s physical play.

“I really think Jonathan Allen got it [the honor] for what he did to me [the cut on his cheek],” Saban said.

Saban said Allen was good in high school, but he has continued to improve and get stronger in college. Allen’s ability to stay quick on his feet as he has added weight has helped him on the football field.

“He’s always been very athletic and has got great first-step quickness,” Saban said. “He does a great job of using his hands and moving his feet, which is really critical in being a good pass rusher. He’s got enough pop now to turn speed to power on people as well as enough quickness to get by them.”

Source:: The Crimson White Sports