By outreach@cw.ua.edu (Terrin Waack)

The Quad at The University of Alabama looks completely different the day before and the day of an Alabama football game.

ESPN College GameDay’s host Rece Davis took a walk through the Quad and simply reminisced on his time as a student here. Davis said he hadn’t been to Tuscaloosa for a game day since 1991.

Kirk Herbstreit is an analyst on the College GameDay show and as a former Ohio State graduate, he can relate to how Davis feels being back on Alabama’s campus. He compares the two of them to any other college football fan.

“Even though we’re in suit and ties and we look like idiots since it’s 100 degrees out, we’re not different than you guys,” Herbstreit said. “We have just as much passion for this game, and we try to be professional when we’re on the air, but deep down, our school means everything – as much as your school means to you.”

As Davis walked across the Quad, however, it wasn’t a sense of déjà vu that came over him, especially with being here for his job.

“Don’t get me wrong, I love it here,” Davis said. “It has a special place in my heart, but I think that when you do a show like this, I get into a locked-in mode and part of it is I like to feel the energy wherever we are.”

Davis is grateful for all that Alabama gave him, and it is still important to him. He said Alabama gave him a foundation to pursue his career goals and served him well educationally. He grew up loving it and still does.

“I’ve learned as a professional to take a step back in terms of being a fan, but that doesn’t mean I love it any less,” Davis said.

Davis was like any other Alabama student – who frequented City Café, Dreamland and Archibald and Woodrow’s BBQ – with dreams and goals he wanted to achieve. Now the host of ESPN’s flagship college football show College GameDay, some asked if he ever pictured himself making it this far.

“The humble answer is no, but the real answer is yes,” Davis said.

Davis just completed his third show of College GameDay and said he loves the experience. His favorite part of each show is seeing how excited Lee Corso gets when making his final, headgear pick.

“We may have, hopefully, 20 great things in a show, but nothing tops that moment when Coach puts on that headgear–at least to me,” Davis said.

Source:: The Crimson White Sports