By outreach@cw.ua.edu (Michael Schwartz)

Breathe in, breathe out.

The game of golf is just as much mental as it is physical. Putting on the green or driving balls at the range can be practiced, but the most important part of the game is the ability to stay focused as the tournament progresses.

“Whenever I feel a bit overwhelmed and need to calm myself down I actually sing to myself,” said senior Emma Talley.

In the first tournament of the spring season, the Crimson Tide finished in second place at the Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge. Janie Jackson, Lakareber Abe and Cheyenne Knight represented Alabama in the top ten individual rankings.

“Momentum is key for us coming into this weekend in New Orleans, [Louisiana],” said coach Mic Potter. “I feel that the team is realizing what it takes to take first place.”

Potter said he was impressed with the team’s ability to judge the green and capitalize on opportunities last weekend. However, the team does need to work out a few kinks before hitting the road to compete in the All-State Sugar Bowl Championship that begins on Sunday.

“The moment never seemed too big for our girls out there [last weekend]; it was really awesome to watch,” Potter said.

Talley said the team will be ready to have an even stronger showing in the upcoming tournament.

“Walking around the course, you can see everyone is more focused and hungrier,” Talley said. “Second place was nice but we always want to improve.”