By outreach@cw.ua.edu (CW Staff)

On Sunday, Georgia announced Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart would become the new head coach replacing Mark Richt. Smart will be officially introduced in a press conference on Monday afternoon. 

“It was critical to identify a person who would focus on a specific, defined process of developing championship football teams on and off the playing field,” Georgia Director of Athletics Greg McGarity said. “Someone who understands the true meaning of a student-athlete by actually experiencing it himself — someone who competed at the highest levels on the playing field, was mentored by some of the very best in the game, and understood the specific ingredients necessary to excel at the highest levels of college athletics — Kirby Smart fits that profile. I believe Kirby Smart is the perfect fit for the University of Georgia.”

When Smart takes over in Athens, Georgia he will not have to get someone to show him around. Smart earned All-SEC honors in 1998 as a defensive back at Georgia, and he also served as the running back coach at Georgia in 2005.

“It’s an honor and privilege to return home to the University of Georgia and my home state,” said Smart. “I’m deeply appreciative of the faith President [Jere W.] Morehead, Greg McGarity, and the Athletic Board Executive Committee have demonstrated in asking me to lead one of the truly great college football programs in the country.”

Smart also had some parting words for Alabama coach Nick Saban.

“I also want to thank Coach Saban,” Smart said. I have been fortunate to spend 11 seasons with him as my mentor and have learned a tremendous amount from him as a coach and teacher. I’m honored and excited for the opportunity at Georgia and promise high energy, effort every day, and hard work every minute on the part of all our coaches, staff and student-athletes.”