Alabama announced today that Joe Pannunzio has accepted the job offer to become the director of football operations, where he will oversee the administration and operation of the football program. Pannunzio will be replacing Mike Vollmer, who left last month to take a job on the Michigan staff.

Pannunzio has coached the tight ends and special teams at Miami for the last five years. During that time, he has coached four NFL players, including 2007 first round draft pick Greg Olsen. The ‘Canes made four bowl appearances in his five years on the staff and both the tight ends and special teams improved under his watch. Pannunzio’s resume also includes spending six seasons as head coach at Murray State, where he led the Racers to the 2002 Ohio Valley Championship.

The Pueblo, Colorado, native also coached at Southern Colorado, Mesa College, Kansas, TCU, Minnesota, Mississippi and Auburn.

“I’m honored to have the chance to work at such a special place like the University of Alabama, and I’m really looking forward to moving into this administrative role,” Pannunzio said. “This is as good as it gets when it comes to college football, and I appreciate Mal Moore and Nick Saban offering me this opportunity. In terms of running an organization, Coach Saban is the best in the country, and my family and I are looking forward to being a part of the great football program here at Alabama.”

Pannunzio had a solid career as a quarterback at Southern Colorado, where he graduated with a degree in physical education in 1982. He and his wife, Rita, have two daughters, Angela and Nico and a son, Mario.